Sunday 10 July 2016

Seattle Day 2

We decided to head to Fremont Street, the 'hipster' part of Seattle. On the way we walked through the Gasworks Park which had an amazing view of Seattle from onto of 'Kite Hill'. 


We sat and watched the sea planes flying over our heads while speed boats zagged in and out of kayaks, it was lovely. There was so many people having picnics, I even spotted a guy had actually brought his massive BBQ, flipping steaks and drinking beer. I definitely recommend this place as a nice relaxing stop off.


From here we headed onwards to see the 'Fremont Troll'. It's a public sculpture made by local artists. It seems to be a popular destination here, there was loads of people fighting for a photo opportunity with it so I would recommend going early on a weekday. We walked from the park (along a nice bike/walking pathway), it took about 20 mins. I heard its quite hard to find a car space so keep this in mind if planning on taking the car. 
I was inspired by the house boats we went past while walking to Fremont so I created this illustration below.


It's a short walk downhill to get to the centre of Fremont Street. The area is lovely, full of independent businesses. I'm a sucker for vintage clothes and trinkets, so when I found Fremont Vintage Mall I was in heaven.


This place is awesome. Its a big space with lots of independent vintage sellers. Each area is cornered off for each seller, and its brimming full with unique items and clothes.





There was SO MUCH to look at, it was really hard to concentrate after a while. I look back at these photos and I spot new things I wanted to take home but was too distracted to see. I did take a few things home though, as you can see in my souvenir blog post HERE.

I had to make my partner suffer some more as I spotted another vintage shop around the corner. 



Atlas was great, it was really affordable and had a great men's section.


Portage Bag Goods was one of my favourite shops. It had so many cute, contemporary gifts and a huge card section


We stopped off for lunch at Roxy's Diner. This place was so colourful and full of some great characters. 


Ordered a very tasty tuna melt and experimented with a 'Chocolate Egg Cream' beverage (milk, carbonated water and chocolate syrup). It was interesting. 




Fremont is such a creative environment, full of breweries and whisky bars and street art. It looks like a great place to stick around at night but we had to head home. On the way out of Fremont we stopped off at a large brewery called Fremont Brewing. It was a big place with a spacious beer garden and plenty of seats to plonk your butt down with your beer. I can't remember which ones I tried (maybe I had too much). It's an excellent place to drag your friends on a cold or hot day.


After a few we dragged our blistered feet in the baking hot sun the next couple of miles home. Arrived back to the apartment just in time to find a disco had popped up in the living room!


We rested for a while and then headed to our local brewery, Mammoth, on Eastlake Avenue East. I ate one of the best sanwhiches in this place. Good god it was tasty! It was called 'The Stonehenge' and it had cranberry sauce, raisins, turkey, cream cheese and a slight cinnamon taste. Ooof I'm drooling just thinking about it. I also accidentally picked out one of the most expensive bottles of beer in there, much to the dismay of my partners wallet.


It was really sour. I only picked it out because of the illustration on the label.

Sadly we had to leave Seattle the next day (in our new rented car!) but had just enough time to grab breakfast at the local cafe called Louisa's Bakery & Bar. The coffee was excellent and the breakfast was so warm and light, just what I needed!


On our way out of Seattle I spotted this old Car Wash neon sign, rotating by the road. 


I loved the colours and the typography so much, it inspired me to draw my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment